vCenter Operations Manager (vCOps) has been given a new name: vRealize Operations Managers (vROps) and VMware has completely reworked the old vCOps. It has a 8X greater scalability and offers unified management across vSphere and non-vSphere (Hyper-V, AWS, Bare Metal) platforms.
vROps now comes in a single virtual appliance, instead of the known virtual appliance with the “Analytics” and “UI” VMs inside it. No more two different management panes as well. The changes so far are pretty impressive for a 5.8 to 6.0 release. Here they are:
- New Scale-Out Architecture – Data and UI are shared so no separate “Analytics” and “UI” VMs per virtual appliance. Scale out by creating a cluster of vROps instances which share the data and interface. Also the ability to build resiliency inside the cluster, by adding extra capacity for failures.
- Integrated interface – No more custom UI for custom dashboards and regular operations. Access to all data objects and ability to create custom dashboards in the same interface.
- Fully Customisable Dashboards and Reports – Customise any dashboard or report by using any type of data available within vROps.
- Smart Alerts and Auto Resolution – The ability to define actions to trigger for Smart Alerts, making your platform self-healing.
- Advanced Capacity Management – Analyse any platform data inside vROps for capacity management, save “what-if” analysis, run multiple scenarios for multiple models.
There’s also a NSX Management pack includes in 6.0, which allows you to monitor the VMware NSX platform. This is most likely not a full list as they expect to release it in December 2014.
If you need a little bit of an introduction to Operations Manager, the VMware vRealize Cloud Operations team have put together some short (45-60 second) videos explaining the functionality. Check them out:
Fast Facts on vRealize Operations – Introduction
Fast Facts on vRealize Operations – Smart Alerts
Fast Facts on vRealize Operations – Powerful Visualizations
Fast Facts on vRealize Operations – Unified UI to Manage vSphere and Non-vSphere Domains
Fast Facts on vRealize Operations – Capacity Planning and Project Management
Fast Facts on vRealize Operations – Policy Management
Fast Facts on vRealize Operations – Automated Remediation
Fast Facts on vRealize Operations – User and Access Control Management
Fast Facts on vRealize Operations – Scale-out and Resilient Platform
Fast Facts on vRealize Operations – Unified Storage Visibility
Fast Facts on vRealize Operations – Extensibility Through Management Packs
Leave a Reply